Early childhood education has a long history in Ethiopia. Laying its foundation on Church and Quran education, modern early childhood education was started at the end of the 19th century. Since then, a lot of work has been done by several governmental and non-governmental organizations. Among the efforts, the national Early Childhood Care and Education (ECCE) policy framework, which was formulated in 2010, and the establishment of the Centre for Early Childhood Care and Education (CECCE), in 2014, at Addis Ababa University can be mentioned as significant milestones in changing the landscape of ECCE in Ethiopia. Because of the lack of coordinated efforts among stakeholders ECCE resources are fragmented and efforts are duplicated. To solve these problems, Centre for Early Childhood Care and Education, Addis Ababa University, National Education Assessment and Examination Agency (NEAEA), USAID Ethiopia, Ethiopian School Readiness Initiative (ESRI), and WizKids Workshop have initiated the establishment of this collaborative ECCE knowledge Hub in 2020 intending to gather ECCE-related resources from various organizations and make them available to researchers, educators, academics, students, policymakers, and anyone interested in early childhood education.
- Become the most reliable, valid and comprehensive professional source of data, literature and materials in Early Childhood Development and Education (ECDE) in Ethiopia
- Become a national model for other programs in efficient, coordinated and collaborative use of local resources in Ethiopia
- Become a bridge between local and international agencies in ECCE in Ethiopia
- Improve visibility of local resources in ECCE to the national and international community
- Become a platform for exchange of best practices in ECCE in Ethiopia
News & Announcement
The Together for Early Childhood Evidence (ECE) program is supported under the Research Technical Assistance Center (RTAC). RTAC is made possible by the generous support of the American people through the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) under the terms of contract no. 7200AA18C00057. This website was produced by Addis Ababa University and Ethiopian School Readiness Initiative under a subcontract with ECD Measure Group, hosted at the University of Nebraska Medical Center under the RTAC contract and do not necessarily reflect the views of USAID or the United States Government.